We were only in San Antonio for a weekend but we squeezed in a ton. Check out our Top 5:
1. The Alamo – Free! There are also a variety of other missions that you could go see as well (check out Mission Concepcion).
2. Walk the San Antonio Riverwalk and boat tour – the boat tour is worth it. Lots of history and you can see most of the river walk without dealing with the crowds.
3. The San Fernando Cathedral Light Show – details here. It’s a light show that chronicles the history of Texas (through image and song alone) and is projected on the facade of the cathedral. Free!
4. Natural Bridge Caverns – slightly outside of San Antonio. Unlike some other caverns we went to, these were warmer underground than above (at least during the winter). Stay and do the maze and do some panning for gold and gems!
If you’re in town starting in May or later, through the autumn months, check out Bracken Cave next door too (literally a 2 minute drive if that) – it houses the world’s largest bat colony. We didn’t see them when we were there because they were still on their winter vacation in Mexico!
5. Blue bonnets – all around San Antonio. There is nothing quite like Texas wildflowers. The fields of blue bonnets in the Spring are worth pulling over to take pictures of. Be on the look out for them if you’re traveling through Texas around March/April.